Tuesday, 26 May 2020
I'm aiming to release it on 2nd June, barring last minute gotchas. Downloads will be available from both GitHub and SourceForge.
The new release will be announced here first, so please check back often. Also keep an eye on one of the above download sites as the code will be available there first.
There's a degree of urgency about getting v4.16 released. As I've mentioned in other posts, my current web server is due to close on 15 June and current versions of CodeSnip use that server to get database updates, to import from SWAG and to get news and update notifications.
I've found alternative ways for the Code Snippets Database and SWAG† to be delivered but they are incompatible with current CodeSnip versions: v4.16 and later will be required to handle them.
† You can get more information about these revised arrangements by reading these blog posts:
I've just released a "new" version of the 1997 SWAG collection of Pascal code and programming examples.
The main reason is so that the soon-to-arrive v4.16 of CodeSnip will still be able to import SWAG snippets after the old web server closes on 15 June. When that server goes the SWAG REST service that CodeSnip currently uses will go away. So, this is just in time.
For more information please see the more detailed post on DelphiDabbler's Blog.
Sunday, 3 May 2020
Well, my laptop has other plans. It just died. And its my only development machine.
Local repair shops are shut down under the corona virus lockdown, so repair is out of the question. So I'm researching suitable machines that can both run Delphi and my music production software. Could take a while!
So I've put back the provisional release date to 31 May. It's got to get done before 15 June, cos that's when the current delphidabbler.com server closes down, which will break current versions of CodeSnip.
And while we're talking about the web server there
Keep an eye on this blog and the delphidabbler/codesnip GitHub project.
Saturday, 2 May 2020
Well the database has just been released as part of the delphidabbler/code-snippets project on GitHub. This is version 2.0.
Here are a few details:
- The v2 database is not backwards compatible with the earlier versions.
- It has been revised to stand alone from the CodeSnip program in as much as the code is available to be accessed by other applications.
- There are no new snippets: the only change to the content is that the two string management categories have been merged into one. Why there were two is a long story to do with maintaining backward compatibility.
- License, copyright and version information is now included with the database.
- The snippets are now formally licensed under the MIT license.